As 5sdad already pointed out about one of my previous posts stating "there were Silvertips and there were Silvertips," they could act in very different ways, not just due to velocity but manufacturing differences from lot to lot. Some batches apparently had pretty thick jackets, and some did not.

Among my Montana friends is a guy who had quite a collection of perfectly mushroomed 130-grain .270 Silvertips pulled from dead deer and elk. His father had purchased a batch of 1000 many years ago and those always worked well.

At the other extreme was my late friend Walter White, who killed a brown bear with a 30+ inch skull on Kodiak Island, as I recall in the early 1950's (it's listed in the B&C records if anybody cares to look it up). He used a .375 H&H with 300-grain Silvertips and had to top off the magazine at least twice before one of the bullets got inside the big bear's chest and killed it. Luckily the bear was across a small river and couldn't charge easily.

I shot my last big game animal with Silvertips in the mid-1980's, when a 150-grain bullet from a .30-06 factory load (muzzle velocity about 2850 fps from my rifle) came apart on the shoulder of a forkhorn mule deer at about 200 yards. It broke the shoulder but the empty jacket then flattened against the deer's ribs. I had to track it for half a mile before putting another behind the shoulder, which killed the buck. Haven't used them since.

Have no experience with the Bronze Points, since nobody I ever knew used them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck