I don't haggle, even with strangers.

In fact, I've gone the other way.

When I bought my boat, the guy was origionally asking $1500, but had lowered his Craigslist listing to $1200.

When we got down to price, he'd actually forgotten what his final asking price was. He looked me straight in the eye and said "Tell the truth, I'll let you have it for a thousand. I gotta get rid of it."

The rig was worth the $1200, so I said back, "I'm not the kind of guy that's going to low-ball a guy on his boat. I'll give you the $1200."

Another example:

I just bought a friend's Remington 1903A3. He told me the price he wanted, which was definitely the "friends and family plan". He and I argued quite a bit with my reply being, "are you SURE that's all you'll take for it?"

While I know there's a game being played at gun shows and the like, I don't like to haggle.

In fact, when I'm on the receiving end I don't like people trying to get me down.

Its a different situation, but Mrs. Aqualung hand-paints ceramics and we sell them in craft shows. We always have obnoxious people coming up and trying to haggle.

Kelly does absolutely fabulous work (professional, artistic-grade) and we price the pieces very fairly. I usually respectfully decline and state that her hard work is worth every penny we ask for a piece. We aren't profiteering on these things.

However, on some of the more obnoxious, I've been known to ask if they would be willing to get paid less for whetever they do for a job...do they take less per hour from 4:00-5:00 because "it's the end of the day"?

Again, I know they're different situations.

Aqualung

"Bambi's Good Eatin'!"
- Me

"...Somewhere, there are Brownings in a two-hand hold,
Cocked and locked, one up the spout..."
- Jethro Tull