Originally Posted by oldgunsmith

Now the big question I have: when was the last 1895 assembled by Marlin ? And what date did Savage fire up their plant and start producing rifles ? Did Marlin just pitch the extra receivers and barrels they had out the window, or did they send them along to Savage ??

I believe they sent alot of the old parts along. I've seen and owned low serial numbered 1899's made in the 10.000+ with 1895 furniture and barrels although the bolts were switched out to 1899 bolts but they were doing that pre-10.000 anyways. IIRC I think I saw a couple 1895 barrels on low 11.000 1899's as well but definitely on the 10,000's.

Not jealous, more curious. A letter from the historian stating it left as a 30-30 would be a first for an 1895 and would up the worth of the gun quite a bit. Just having a hard time believing one left in 30-30. It almost seems like from the start of this thread that were trying to talk ourselves into believing one left the factory in this caliber but I tend to believe facts over fiction. No malice towards the gun, and I think it would be awesome to know that one left in a different caliber other than 303 but now we've taken it to another level than what we've learned over a number of years which is that 1895's were only made in 303 Sav. I've got photo copies of factory ledgers of 1895's and all are in the same original caliber.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.