All:

Sorry not to close the loop on this. Here are the details that I have on this rifle. Well most of it.

Accepted in July 1896 and eventually shipped out in March 1898. Yes, almost two years after it was accepted at factory. (The person or place that the rifle went to will remain anonymous)

The documentation specifically states the oddness that there is no caliber designation for this rifle, and that it is the only 1895 rifle in the ledger that doesn't have a 303 designation. There is also an odd "WP" in the ledger. Again, no other rifle has that feature in the documentation. No reference at all to what WP stands for.

This info came from Savage and/or a Savage historian. Others here have seen all of this info.

**Break**

The rifle is in 30-30 Win, and shoots good with my mild loads.

In my opinion, there are two things that are true.

1. I own the first Savage rifle factory chambered in a Win caliber. It is a one of a kind.

2. This rifle will hopefully be taking a deer this coming season, and preferably in Texas.

Another piece of info to add to the pile.

Cheers....

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.