Here are a few replies that have become pretty much standard to the "what should I get" questions:

Bolt action.

Tikka T3 Lite Stainless .308.

They are truly the Glock 19 of the rifle world. Stick a set of Talley lightweight rings on it, and add sling of choice. If you reload, buy an 8# keg of Varget, along with some Lapua brass, and choose a projectile. As far as scopes go, that is terrain/environment dependent. That said, it is hard to beat an SWFA SS fixed 6X. From coyotes to elk, the rifle will do whatever is asked, with little fuss.

AR15.

Colt 6720 or 6920.
The 6720 is a "pencil" barrel type profile, and the 6920 is an "M4" type profile. Personal preference is towards a lighter rifle. Add a 2-point sling, a white light, Geissele trigger, and either AIMPOINT RDO or low power variable.

Semi auto handgun.

Glock 19/17.
Right or wrong, they have become the standard by which all others on the market are judged. Stick a set of sights on it that work for you. Don't try to "upgrade" it, until you have a half dozen cases of ammo through it, and have a baseline of performance, for both you and the pistol.

If a guy (or gal) has those 3 firearms, they have their bases very well covered.

They are EXACTLY what I have been working towards outfitting each of my children towards having when they fly the nest. With them they have the ability to defend hearth and home, CCW carry, and fill the freezer.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com