I started posting on this forum a few weeks ago in hopes of getting some info that would allow me to decide whether to get a .22 or a .17 HMR, and what scope to go with the rifle. I used to own a Marlin Model 60, and have fond memories of having hunted with my grandfather and my uncles.

After weeks of letting my perfectionist tendencies get the better of me, and examining the details of various .22s and .17s, I decided to get a CZ 455 22LR, but not now.

I live in Connecticut. I'm sure many of you already know where this is going. In addition to a hunting license, ($28), I need to take ANOTHER firearms course to buy a certificate that will allow me to purchase a gun and/or ammo. This will be about $280 total, and must be renewed every five years at a cost of about $100, in addition to the cost of a new hunting license every year. As of February of this year, or governor has proposed increasing fees associated with all of this by another $25.

Having had my car struck by a car driven by a drunk illegal alien several years ago, and suffering a dislocated spine as a result, I have spent most of my savings on medical bills. I thought that I could tighten my belt and spend a few hundred for a nice bolt action rifle, something I've always wanted, but that won't be happening. I simply cannot afford to spend close to $1,000 to hunt a few squirrels.

As a silver lining to all of this, I know that the state will not be receiving any licensing fees from me in relation to all this.

Happy hunting to all of you, and thanks for all of your advice. I won't be seeing you in the field.

EDIT: I might be mistaken in having to take a second course at a cost of $180 (which would have brought the cost of everything to about $280 for the certificate) according to "Mike S" who posted on the second page. The other fees stand, however. This is much easier to deal with if I only have to pay an additional $100 instead of an additional $280.

All of this still rubs me the wrong way though. This legislation was rammed through after Adam Lanza went on his deranged killing spree. The powers that be took advantage of the fear in the state to pass what otherwise would not have passed.

That they want to milk people further for fingerprinting fees is just insulting. There's no other word for it.

Last edited by carved; 04/28/17.