Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I read this on another site, lots of truth in it.

"Wanna know why there were almost no school shootings 50 years ago? Violent kids were sent to reform schools and crazy kids were sent to a state run mental hospital. Antisocial behavior had sever consequences"

Probably a lot to that statement. I also believe that the increasing violent video games that kids constantly play these days desensitizes kids to violence and gun violence in particular. Hard to believe, but most kids know more about very specific firearms and their operation due to the highly detailed video games than I do about a lot of different handguns on the market today.

Agreed. Also, to me, this raises some interesting questions about mass violence back 150-200 years ago. How many mass public shootings were there, back when everyone in the bar, or say, store, or on the street, was packing on their hip, openly?......

This, despite the culture of violence going on all around them (duels in the street, fights/shootings just because someone called you a coward/liar - whether you were or weren't).

I find it hard to justify anything more than perhaps a desensitizing that is brought on by games/tv, but there are waaay more folks using those products - playing those games, watching those movies, than there are shooting people up. Just as the non-violent gun owners vs the few that misuse them.

Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.