HJ,

My experience doesn't quite bear out Mike's point on the sub-30, over-30 difference. I do see differences between 30s and under and over-30s, though. When it comes to deer sized animals, I don't see any difference at all. When it comes to caribou sized animals, it seems that the 30s (300wm, '06, and 308) and my .270 work about the same. Even in musk ox, talking with those who've used 300WMs, '06s and the like, their experience has been nigh identical with my wife's .270 and her mox. But, in caribou and larger animals, (sorry, I can't say about mox because I haven't drawn for that yet cry), it does seem to me that the 338s and up kill the animals just a bit faster. My experience with the 338 & 358 magnums is limited, but what little I have seen hasn't convinced me that they kill any faster than the varieties based on the '06 case.

So, I do see a difference, but at slightly larger sizes than .308, and I'm starting to believe the old Brits has something with their thoughts on medium velocities rather than real screamers.