I
Originally Posted by bangeye
Just my $.02 but I think we should really look at rifles in therms of game classes. For example in the NA we really only have two classes of "Big Game" and I would group them as medium which would be deer, blk bear, sheep, goats, caribou and elk. Other than those we really only have 4 heavy game animals: bison, muskOx, moose and the great bears. On the medium class a larger cartridge really gets you marginal increments in results because most of our medium capacity rounds say .243-30-06 are more than enough to handle them effectively. On the heavy game animals bigger probably gives you some additional edge over the medium capacity rounds but within the larger rounds say from 300 mag to 375 you probably have plenty of oomph to take any of the heavy game so the incremental results are probably not that great. Now we can argue a bit over the very extremes such as a .243 on really large elk or maybe 30-06 on key deer in Florida etc. but if you want to argue 6.5x55 vs 7mm08 or 30-06 well you are probably wasting time you s/b hunting.

I agree with most of this.... Can you really hunt a Key Deer? Would a 243 be enough on a kinda large Elk?

Last edited by bonefish; 03/27/15.