Originally Posted by turkish
Originally Posted by SlimBlundt
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR

If the ASR mount comes in 1/2"-28 with a .30 cal bore, I would recommend that for your Omega, even if you are not going to move it to a different rifle.

I definitely wouldn’t recommend the Silencerco ASR QD mount on a mountain rifle. I have a Silencerco Omega and speak from experience.

1. The Omega comes with two interchangeable direct-thread bases, one for 1/2x28 and one for 5/8x24, so no adapter is required. Just unscrew one base from the silencer and swap it for the other.
2. Adding a QD mount also means adding a muzzle device. You’ll be adding an extra 1” of length compared to the DT base and an extra 3 to 4 oz. These seem like small numbers but they’re multiplied exponentially because of WHERE that extra weight and length is going: on the end of a lightweight barrel!

Many thanks. #2 is why I passed on the ASR initially. I’ll have to check, but I don’t think mine came with a 1/2” direct thread.

What mostly caught my attention was the suggestion that this setup was more apt to fault in a baffle strike.

Luckily, with the Omega mount thread becoming somewhat of an industry standard, you have plenty of options if you want to pick up a DT adapter.

Hansohn Bros direct thread adapter

Rex Silentium direct thread adapters

Dead Air direct thread adapter

I prefer to run cans on my suppressed hunting rifles in direct thread configuration. The key is to have a nice wide shoulder on the barrel then they don't come loose. If you don't have enough shoulder they'll tend to work themselves loose.