Sure, I'd use one... but I don't own one so I didn't mention it. It would be bracketed between my choices of 7mm-08 and 30-06.

But to be honest, I consider it a notch below the 30-06, and the 30-06 is my minimum "ideal" elk rifle. The .270 would fall somewhere in my "adequate" category with 7-08, .280, .260, .308, etc.

A 30-06 with the right bullets is a bona-fide bull elk rifle, capable of most any shot angle. Get below that and you start to lose shot angles, you make a smaller hole, you make a less-deep hole, etc etc etc.

Of course, the caliber I consider truly ideal for elk is .338 Win Mag. Next up would .325 WSM or 300 maggie.

And now, sit back and watch as I get clobbered by all the .270 guys! Please let me note, NOWHERE IN THIS POST DOES IT SAY THAT .270 IS INADEQUATE FOR ELK! Also, this is all just an opinion, worth what you paid for it, and my opinion is formed by the terrain I hunt and my style of hunting- your mileage will vary.

It's neat that we have so many great calibers... I love 'em all! Just not all of them for elk.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!