Jeff,
I hunted with the light calibers when I was very young and that was about all I could handle. My family were ranchers and true outdoorsmen and in those days most folks used 30-30s and thought a 300 Savage was a magnum. A few had Springfields and I remembering thinking when I got big I would own a 300 Savage or maybe a 30-06 Springfield army rifle. I almost had appoplexy when I saw my first M-70 in 300 H&H and the owner, a paying hunter, gave me one of those big cases. I took it to school and showed it to the whole classs and the teacher, all were impressed. A different time and place.

As to the "Texas heart shot", I don't know of a quicker killing shot if you use enough gun. other than brain or spine.. I don't know why anyone would hesitate to use it. It destroys much more vital organs than a broadside shot, and 95% or better of the time they pile up at the shot...I have not had any other opertunity in the last number of years where I hunt, so I use a 338 with 300 gr. Woodleighs or my 375 with 350 gr. Woodleighs. The black timber is thick, nasty and dark, they jump close and are going south fast, what would you suggest, that I just quit hunting them?