I don't think Phil did anyone any favors with his article involving the .223. It's the most popular caliber because it's CHEAP not because it's good.

I think it is ridiculous to hunt elk with a 22-250. Period. I personally know of several bad experiences with elk and 22-250s. My cousins have like two rifles- one is a 22-250 and they are forever loaning it out when someone shows up with a rifle that is not sighted in. Although my cousin has killed a couple of elk with this rifle- he has followed quite a few that were wounded by friends and guess what- the bullets never made it through the shoulder! If shot placement isn't perfect, you have a wounded elk. For those of you who haven't had the opportunity to shoot a few elk, I will tell you that they are as tough an animal as there is- period. Even Craig Boddington gives them that credit in comparison to African game.

Hunting elk with a 22-250 intentionally is akin to having a cop carry a .25 auto as his duty weapon. Will it kill someone? Absolutely, is it effective- not hardly.

When I first started deer hunting I used my dad's -06, as expected, it worked perfect. The first rifle I bought was a 22-250 (because my uncle used one) I killed a half dozen coues whitetail with it before I had my first bad experience. I made a very LUCKY 2nd shot and broke this deers back at 400 yds [running, no less] and when I finally hiked over, the deer was still alive and fighting mad. The first round had deflected off a shoulder bone and went straight down. I can't imagine using it on elk.

Ray used a 250 Savage on elk- so have I- it shoots a 100-120 grain bullet and is very reasonable in velocity, totally different from the 22-250.

Last edited by dennisinaz; 05/18/07.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.