Originally Posted by Seafire
Anyone ever used this combo with success on deer?

Good to be loading some for an older friend ( retired Marine) who has just had shoulder surgery, and also retinal surgery on his right eye recently...

Doc told him to retire his 30/06 and take up golf... he already golfs anyway, but his son picked him up a 243 Weatherby Vanguard...

he shot some of my handloads and liked them... now the question is if the bullet is up to the task... I am sure it is, but that is speculation... proof is even better... grin

if that doesn't work, maybe I can talk him into shooting a TTSX in 80 or 85 grains... or my second choice was the 85 gr HP Sierra...

I'd say the difference in recoil between a 75 grain and 100 grain in a .243 is probably negligible. If he doesn't think he can handle the 100s get him some 85 grain SGK. They are tough enough to penetrate a deer. Using them wouldn't give me the warm and fuzzy, but I would feel a lot better with them than I would the 75 grains because the 75 grains are pure varmint bullets and I would more question them than the 85 grain Sierra as to whether they're tough enough to penetrate and reliably expand in a deer. The 85s aren't varmint bullets, they're constructed tough to more readily penetrate and expand. Though light for their length, they're tougher than a pure varmint bullet.

Last edited by Filaman; 02/19/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!