Originally Posted by 358WCF
Cleveland,

That would depend on the chamber in your rifle. I've worked with 4 different improved rifles in different calibers & every one was an adventure of its own. Only one I was able to fire factory brass without an incipient case separation problem. Is there really 416 Taylor brass available or are you forming it from 458 or 338 WinMag? If necking down from 458 a 2ndary shoulder to close the bolt with a bit of effort with a stiff, but not max load should work well. I dont think there will be much "improvement" to your Taylor so not a max Taylor load. If necking up, until you know the length of your chamber from base to shoulder, I would do the bullet jammed into lands method with a midrange load if you must use $$ components, or better yet... COW fireform to set headspace using the shoulder rather than the belt before loading a regular charge.

For a point of reference, in an 06 size case I worked up to about 16 gr of mid-speed pistol powder (Unique I think... cant find the notes right now), case packed tight to neck/shoulder junction with COW (maybe it was corn meal or instant grits) & a wad of TP stuffed in the neck to hold it all in place fired in the yard pointed straight up in the air. It looked like there was a parade & smelled like breakfast cooking. No loss of brass using this method after all other methods tried failed. Dont forget to clean the bore before shooting real projectiles.

Thanks! Yes you can get factory 416 taylor brass from norma and quality cartridge. I wish I would of went with the 458 brass and necked down, would of been cheaper lol. I saw somewhere online where a guy used 20 gr of bullseye, and toilet paper in his 416 taylor to form 458 brass after he necked it down. I also doubt there is much improvement over the regular 416 taylor, but I really have no idea. When you used the toilet paper method, how much did you use? I wasnt sure if you are supposed to use enough to just plug the neck? Or a little more to stuff in the case body. Thanks for your reply I appreciate it!