Originally Posted by gkt5450
I’ve got the typical shotguns to hunt with. But, I have a hankering for an older, high comb dbl bbl to carry on some walk about shooting. I’m not retiring my others but just want an older more traditional shooter. Probably a 20g as a weight saving measure.
What is your experience w SxS?

It is the only long gun I own.....for: hares, pheasant, partridges.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

From American classics I recommend A.H. Fox of Philadelphia, Utica or Chicopee Falls. In modern American try to find trigger plate actioned Ruger Gold Label (commonly called round action). New production with reasonable price tag would be Turkish Akus shotguns sold in USA by several companies. There are always used affordable Birmingham made English shotguns in 12ga from extra light 2" guns to 3" wildfowlers. In vintage English guns you want something with heavy proof or 1&1/4oz or more to shoot standard American game loads. There were also numerous game guns from: Italy, Belgium, Japan, France, Germany, Austria and Spain. If you want best bang for buck in game gun it would be old Sakaba (Ithaca-SKB), Ugartechea 30 or a new Akus field grade from Cabelas. These are made and well established pattern of Anson & Deeley sytem of Westley Richards fame. The downside of old guns is they are not steel shot or other hard non-tox shot compatible meaning wit will he very expensive to use them in the future.