Originally Posted by Valsdad
I've already got a solar charger, that is listed at 1.6 joules max. I'm thinking that would be enough for 164' which would likely serve my needs nicely. I wasn't sure it any charger will work. Has to be solar in my case, as I'm not running 110/120 electric 100' out there just for the chickens.

This is what I have, and as long as their connectors will work, I should be fine..........right?

https://parmakusa.com/product/deluxe-field-solar-pak-6/

I know for sure, once deer and dogs get a taste of it they tend to shy away. Can't imagine a yote deciding differently. I just worry about them jumping over the chicken fence.

Based upon the specs, you should have a good, portable energizer for a standard 164' fence. Just make sure to have a good ground rod installation for it and keep the grass mowed under the fencing in the summer to prevent shorting out the lower strands. Our 1J energizer cooks the grass under the fencing. Fencing and ground rod clamps/leads can be had from Premier1 or your LHS. Don't know if your specific energizer has an integral charge controller to protect the battery from boiling on bright sunny days. May want to check it with your DMM on one of those days and consider splicing in a 6V controller if it is elevated so you don't fry your setup. Don't know how your planning on mounting the energizer but would suggest you hang some flashing or similar below the solar panel to keep the sun's UV from deteriorating the unit's face. Don't ask me how I know.... *grin*

I'll get to your pm's request for pixels in the next few days....