Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
There should have been a section (640 acres) declared for the Alamo site and Texans should be totally ashamed that THEY did not reconcile this issue! Instead, the city of San Antonio has built concrete and plaster damn nigh onto the doorstep of what should have been declared as 'hallowed ground'! I feel fully justified in thinking that there was also in play over the years an ethnic portion of the San Antonio population that did all they could do to desecrate the memory of those Americans that died at The Siege of the Alamo!!

I was stunned when I saw the Alamo in the center of San Antonio. I was expecting to see it as you described with acreage and open space.

Sky scrapers on 3 sides, buries the Alamo in a pretty sanitized setting, far from what you would expect…

If anyone wants to get a better idea of what the area around the Alamo might have looked like without all the city encroaching on it, check out some of the other preserved mission sites in the San Antonio area (administered by the National Park Service)..

Agreed - see my mention of Mission Espada above.

He went over yonder way