Originally Posted by JoeBob
There is a pretty decent chance that the original James Bowie knife was found at a river crossing the Mexican Army used as it headed east. It’s call the “Sea of Mud Knife”.

https://blademag.com/knife-history/the-sea-of-mud-knife-james-bowies-knife-found-pt-1/amp

Some great history in that link, and more in the links provided in the link.

I do wonder if Bowie ever saw much less used a knife that we would recognize as a bowie. The presentation models Rezin Bowie had made resembled in shape fancy, silver-clad examples of regular butcher knives.

I wonder too how much of the popular names arose from the marketing by the Sheffield UK companies that made many of the bowies used in the US. I believe it was in Russels classic Firearms Traps and Tools of the Mountain Men there’s a picture of a knife that was sold as a “Buffalo Knife” in Canada, “Bowie Knife” in the US and “Gaucho Knife” in South America. Same blade, different handles.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744