Bear/Fbx....
I live at 23 mi. Once the snow conditions deepen, the wolves usually go back to their normal menu, and are gone from the neighborhood. In 2000 - 2001, another low snow winter, a large (about 90#) and rangy, black female wolf, accompanied by what looked to be a grey yearling, hung out around here for several months....had a regular route through the neighborhood she used to find her daily bred. To the best of my knowledge, no dogs were killed. It seems she was cruising the substantial dog manure piles ("etc") in the woods near some of the large sled dog kennels that dot the terrain. I saw her twice, at 4 pm, about 20' back in the woods from my dogyard...and each time, she was walking stiff-legged, with her ears back, and her tale almost straight out. My 40 dogs were, of course, going berserk. The wolf appeared to be signaling..."you don't really want me to come over there." Other time, She'd be gone in a flash if I reached for firepower. After more spring snow, she was gone and hasn't been around for years, although I haven't seen the latest group of intruders.

Anyone who sees one in the woods around here, will be poorly served with a rifle. The target is too quick and fleeting. My choice is not based on aesthetics, but cold practicality....A Remington 870 with a Polychoke turned to full, and some high brass 00 buckshot....the best choice when there is no chance of precision.