Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
Will any of us be grabbing a single shot rifle for deer (or other big game) hunting this fall?

LA & MS have a primitive hunting season that allows single-shots at .35 caliber & above if it has an exposed hammer (Ruger #1's unfortunately not allowed because of that last criterion). I'm going to hopefully get to try out my 1885 that I got my gunsmith to put a scope on in early November:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I really like my Ruger #1 in 303 British so I've been thinking about using it again for the modern gun season since I haven't shot it in a couple of years:

I have a .275 Rigby RSI that I want to hunt with as well so which one I choose will probably be determined by how often I get to go. Too many options...not enough free time:

All of the single shot calibers I own are capable of taking a deer. So I often let the scope or iron sights and the location I'm going to determine the one that I take. For me, it's usually not a question of whether I'm going to grab a single-shot. Most of the time the question is which single-shot am I going to grab: