Originally Posted by bwinters
Managed one of my shortest deer hunts yesterday evening - 3 minutes.

Had my dad drop me off on the logging road to a small field we plant with clover. It's about an acre or a bit bigger and is bordered by a 10 year old clearcut on one end. We have a double stand in the corner. It's the same stand Dad shot his buck from this year.

I eased up the logging road and saw deer in the field. I texted dad to hang back (he drives the 4 wheeler up the road to retrieve deer). It was 2:38 PM. I eased into the woods bordering the logging road and slowly moved closer to get a shot window. Deer starting moving out the far end of the field headed for somewhere else but not spooked, just ambling along.

I looked around for a rest because the shot was going to be quick and about 75-80 yards. I dropped to kneeling and found a finger size sapling to use as a rest. It wasn't the most steady but was sufficient for what I needed to do. The biggest doe started walking across the logging road and I bleated to her with my mouth. She didn't stop waking so I whistled. She stopped and I put the crosshair tight to her shoulder and squeezed. She hit the ground so quick I lost sight of her in the recoil. The rest of the deer took off. I retrieved my brass and walked into the field where she lay. It was 2:41 PM grin

That’s how to do it!

Years ago I was hunting on a friend’s farm at Gettysburg. He had a stand in the woods on the back side, the same woods BTW where they began Pickett’s Charge in the movie. I was climbing up and spotted a buck crossing below in the brushy field. Finished climbing, unslung the .270, and cracked him. Climbed down. Done.

What fresh Hell is this?