Originally Posted by tdoyka
Originally Posted by Teeder
I grew up doing drives. After the first day it was full blown driving. I hated it! Point restrictions slowed that down, but it still goes on.
We never do that now. At most, a guy will doing a little loop around to bump something up, slow an quietly.
Finally got my doe last night.

we used to have deer drives, but we (10 of us) have killed some deer. it was a good practice to move the deer. i don't how many i shot when i was alone and the drivers showed up. today a guy goes out about 50-100 yards from the trail and sits in his tree stand.

being disabled (the right arm/leg are disabled due to a bad stroke), i go about 50 - 60 yards from the trail into a ground blind. before the stroke, i go about a 1 or 2 miles from the trail to hunt deer. i passed up some good sized bucks on archery season. i don't do archery anymore, i'm a meat hunter.

Two things: Just because I don't do drives doesn't mean I sit on my ass all day 50-100 yards off the trail. There's no rule that says you can't take "meat" with archery equipment. I prefer to take a doe in early archery season. I just don't always get it done depending on circumstances.