I think all of us gun nuts have a few different guns in our head that if we ever run across at anything close to decent price we know we'll buy it.

I found another today picking up a used Win model 70 extreme weather 30-06. Ive been wanting a stainless M70 30-06 for a while but havent been bidding them up on auctions etc. Just happened to find one at a shop i frequent.

Others that over the years I waited patiently for and eventually found include a kimber montana 7 wsm I found over a dozen years ago. A nice blr in 358 I found last year. Several JC Higgins model 50s and 51s. And I recently got a savage 99 take down in 250-3000. It's rough but I've wanted one for 30 years.

So I guess by unicorn I mean guns you don't often find while doing the gun store or show circuits but ones you'll likely buy if you see while out and about. Not something you're actively trying to buy at gunbroker and willing to pay any price for.

Some I'm still watching for include:

A kimber montana in 223.

A S&W scadnium 44 that had the stainless cylinder and about a 2.75" or 3" barrel. I can't remember what's it called right now but maybe Alaskan backpacker or something like that. I've only ever seen one. I own the 4" and have carried it a lot over about 15 years but I really want that one with the stainless cylinder.

A CZ 550 fs in 9,3x62

A Blackhawk stainless convertible 45 with a 4.625" barrel in the dealer exclusive flattop medium frame. The one that weighs 36 ounces.

A nice 94 big bore in 375. Always wanted one and now that I'm casting again it seems like a good one for hunting with cast bullets.

An m77 Alaskan in 416 ruger. I had one in 375 I should have never sold. It was great with the 20" stainless barrel but I figured I didn't need two so I sold it and kept my African for sentimental reasons because I used it on my last Africa trip. I'd really rather have the shorter ss one and since I still have a 375 African I'd love a 20" alaskan.

Pretty much any Barrett fieldcraft short action for under around $2000. I love my 6mm Creedmoor and 7-08 and often regret not buying more when Whittakers cleared them out.

I have more on the list but that gets me started. Maybe some good can come of this and we can watch for each other's unicorns and help each other out. It was a fire member that found my 18.5" Barrett fieldcraft for me because he saw a post where I mentioned I wanted one. I've found several things for friends and fire members after hearing they were looking and then stumbling across one by chance.

What are your unicorn guns?

I know this is the rifles area but include any gun. I would have posted this under the hunters campfire but I was hoping to keep it more positive like the old fire days and thought the odds of that happening are better here.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 12/12/23.