Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I don't worry about what happens past around 500 yards, so the super long for caliber, ultra high BC game doesn't hold too much attention for me with hunting rifles.

Maybe if I was a pure target shooter & actually had a good place to shoot a 1,000 yards with easy access I'd get more excited..............drop compensation is a given today but wind drift is still voodoo, so anything to simplify that is good.

A real 2700 fps in a 22" barrel is nice if you can get it in a 7-08, but is an easy given in a 280.

I keep my 7-08 loads to 150's or less, usually 140's or 120's for my purposes.

MM

Good post MM. I have almost settled on the 150gr Nosler partition in mine. It's great out to 500 yards. Tested with a simple ballistic plex reticle, 13 oz scope. I like to keep my big game hunting rifles very simple. Lighter in weight, and well balanced. The last time I used my 7mm-08 on a hunt was on a bull 2 years ago. It worked great.

Before that elk hunt, this is what I came up with:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Testing different seating depths:

Even testing different primers. Magnum vs. standard. The magnum primers did shoot a little better, but not by enough to matter, for a hunting rifle.

I found the 150gr Nosler partitions to shoot better than the 140 TTSX in my rifle, by a little bit:

That's with a powder no one has suggested, except for me. I believe. The nice thing about Hunter powder, is it's still fairly reasonably priced around here. Easy to find too. A local shop has been sitting on a keg of it for about a year now though. Maybe because it's not as popular at BG? I know it works great in my 30-06 rifles as well.

I was buying that stuff for $30/pound a couple years ago, when powder was scarce too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA