Continued...

It was a relatively easy pack down the hill, right up until my trekking pole broke...again. I love the guys at S&S archery here in Boise and they've been great about replacing broken parts, but this marks the third year in a row one of their lightweight trekkers has failed me. I'm officially DONE with them. I managed to get the entire deer on a single run but it wasn't fun doing so with a single trekking pole and my bum knee. FWIW I used Sissy Stix poles the rest of the season and they worked great.

The next couple of days weren't terribly productive in terms of killing game, but they sure were fun as Cadon and Rowdy rolled into camp and the hard-assing began. Here is a morning glassing session with Rowdy (left) and Cadon that wasn't terribly productive given the weather. Oh to be 22 again and full of pizz and vinegar. They are both idiots, but man do they make me laugh. They also give me hope that all is not lost with the next generation. Cadon just started working as a deputy in a rural Idaho county, and Rowdy is currently 4 months from graduating with honors with a degree in Rangeland Management. Both great young men and proud to have played a small role in helping raise both of them. Not surprisingly Cadon's mom and dad are great people too.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

These two go waaay back and I've been dragging them with me on outdoor adventures for many, many years now. That's Cadon and Rowdy on the left in this photo when they were still in grade-school. I believe this was spring break in the 6th grade if my memory serves me correctly. I digress though, and forgive me for the detour down memory lane.

Poor visibility and wet weather somehow go hand in hand with bad food I've found. This year was no exception...

Matt and his brother rolled back into camp just before I was to depart to the help Greg on his moose hunt. The only thing worse than one Matt talking about Star Wars is two of them. Well, a Matt and a Jake...but damn little difference as you can tell. Not only do they look alike, but they like to injure themselves the same way. Note the footpeg scars on their shins. Motorcycles can be unforgiving mistresses in the snow in particular....

To be continued...

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.