Originally Posted by cooperfan
How far off the lands do you typically load these bullets?

I was super impressed with the accuracy of them in my Mauser m12 30-06.

I have not tried the tipped ones yet.
I’ve found they were not too ticky about seating depth. I generally seat to the top ring, which puts it about at the customary max coal for the round.

I’ve found that I could not get reliable ballistic info on drops at certain yardage as reliably as I could with other conventional bullets, using the bc given by Hammer. I’m not one of the thousand yard long range tv shooter guys but 400-450 is not out of the realm of possibility on our ag fields here. I used the Berger program and it works like a charm with any other bullet make. Lesson for the file: use the program to get you close, but always verify on the range. I’m lucky, I have a 100-600 yard range set up in a pecan orchard three miles from my house. My Hammers were dropping more than the program indicated they should, but that’s life.

In my little world I’ve found I’ve had my best luck using hammers that were on the light side, rather than the heavy side for a given round on whitetail. 270? 124 Hammer Hunter, 300 Win Mag? 150’s. 160’s? You better purposely hit bone or it zips through.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.