Got my first look at a rifle bore through a bore scope today. Wow. The things you see. Only wish I could have gotten some before and after photos. Have been running in a circle with a 1950’s 722 in 257Roberts bought recently. A good friend who puts a lot of effort in to the benchrest side of shooting invited me to his shop to investigate. Well that barrel was coppered heavy, and has a bit of pitting out near the muzzle.
I had given what I thought was a good effort on it with Montana extreme at my place last month. Much to the dismay of others living in the area above my gun cave. Overnight soaks for three cycles.
So in steps we got after it with some various products. This included Bore Tech eliminator, JB paste, Kroil and a good amount of patches. (Plus a nice bore guide, stock cover and other rods/jags etc). When we called a truce the inner appearance was amazingly different.
I don’t know how it’s going to shoot and won’t see a range for a good bit due to work, but will report on that when the day comes.
Just really blown away by how much fowling was in that barrel and the efforts it took to get close to clean. I’m sure it’s a candidate for DBC and will look into that this spring as time allows.
For those of you with a scope it must be entertaining seeing the look of friends when you show them what they are missing.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......