Originally Posted by dave7mm
Bob.
I have the very same gun.
A 1950s vintage 257 Roberts
Bore scoping it you can see that whoever carried it ,carried it muzzle up in the rain.
The last inch of the barrel is discolored/ pitted. Rest of the bore looked pretty good .
The lead in front of the chamber looks like new.
If you get the copper and the carbon out of your Bob.
I'll bet the thing will surprise you when you get it on the range.

Dave

Thanks Dave,
I bought this one after reading experiences like yours with the 722’s. I own another one in 300 Savage that shoots well with out much fuss at the bench at home with the cleaning products. That Savage performs similar to other rifles my son and I own. Generally pretty low maintenance required.
So this 722 is a learning curve for me. Have read a lot here about the various schools of thought on cleaning and accuracy. Will be adding a few products to the mix if this cleaned barrel likes shooting “Clean”.
Not feeling the need to own a bore scope, but it’s sure good to know someone who does when you want to see what’s it looking like inside.
Work is first, but as soon as I can get to the range I will report on how it shoots after the deep clean.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......