Mule Deer mentioned in the 280 Ackley thread
The .338-06 has much less shoulder than smaller rounds based on the '06 case. There just isn't much to blow out, so the increase in velocity is minimal. Even more of a waste of time is the .35 Whelen AI. I never could find any ballistic difference in it and the standard Whelen.

I can understand that there isn't going to be enough ballistic improvement to justify having this done, but I recently acquired a fairly nice 1903A3 Springfield actioned rifle, as well as Mule Deer's former dies, in this caliber and have a question or two.

1. Since there is little to be gained does that also mean that there is little to be lost firing standard 35 Whelen rounds in a 35 Whelen A.I. chamber. I am thinking this would only be done in an emergency. Lost ammo etc.
2. What is the actual difference in case capacity and is the oft accepted practice of starting at max loads for the parent case valid?
3. Would the increased shoulder in the A.I. chamber be a slight advantage over the standard version?

So, bottom line, is there really any disadvantage in owning a rifle chambered for the A.I. version over the standard version in 35 Whelen. I am thinking that just because this rifle has an improved chamber, it probably makes little sense to rebarrel to the standard Whelen as little would be gained, or lost, in that exercise. Is my thinking on this correct or flawed?

Many thanks

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink