Interesting dilemma and discussion at minimum. You sound healthy and active BUT things can change fast at your age going forward, too! I'd be thinking about things like snow removal, travel safety(ie. two lane roads in the winter, etc!), health care (as you've noted), and overall climate looking 10-15 years into the future which most of us overlook!

I'd consider along the western I70 corridor around Grand Junction or its outskirts depending on how "urban" vs "suburban" vs "rural" you want to be. Vineyards and orchards there (climate). Fishing, hunting, Colorado River, Amtrak east or west, close to SE Utah's Natl. Parks/Moab, close to Uncompaghre Plateau, Montrose/San Juans, local skiing on the "plateau" minutes east, I70 relatively easy/safe drive to Copper Mtn., St. Mary's Regional Hospital, Airport right there with easy connections through Denver... a retiree could do a lot worse in Colorado! I have not been through there in awhile but I would be shocked if the population in the valley is not 150,000-200,000.

Your "water" access comments about the Durango area really surprise me and I am suspect to say the least. Water has become the new "gold" out in the dry West. Rapid development and growth of a limited resource combined with recent droughts have brought this to the forefront and the fights with municipalities/ranchers/farmers/ and .gov are going on and will get worse! Add "corporations" and foreign governments to the list! I am not sure sometimes which will be threatened first... water rights/use/access or our firearms!

As an aside, if you relocate to Colo., you might have to divest yourself of your beloved Savages... despite Colorado's politics it is still Winchester country! They might compromise with a few Remingtons or customs!!!

Sounds like a "midwest" location closer to Colorado is out of a question? North Platte, etc. I sure love pheasants and whitetails, too! IMHO, as I have watched the West really change (other than scenery which is certainly a part of the equation) over the last 30+ years, I think the "non-urban" Midwest will be one of the last areas the Country where one can really still easily pursue a "traditional" American lifestyle (including outdoor activities like hunting and fishing) many have been accustomed to. Understandably, Alaskans and many in the SE will disagree... many factors to consider...