Originally Posted by Feral_American
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Originally Posted by jackmountain
If you can spend just a little more effort to build a cartridge that shoots more accurately, why not do it?
Totally agree but when+- a grain of powder yeilds sub MOA I'm not chasing that rabbit very far down the hole.

That there is the most important thing right there. It's what YOU can live with. For a "hunting" rifle, I shoot for sub moa 5 shot groups. Sub moa for 10 shot groups is even better. What some guys don't get though, is you have to confirm those loads. A single 3 shot group doesn't tell you anything, except for maybe you got lucky.

Then the question will follow, "well then why do you shoot 3 shot groups at 400 yards???" Listen very carefully, that is a "confirmed" load. This load is one that I've checked with 5 and even 10 shot groups multiple times. That's why I know what it's going to do. "Well, why shoot 3 shots?". They ask. My answer: To conserve components dummy!!!! I know I'm not the only one that does this either. There is a damn ex camp perry guy here, that says he only shoots 2 shot groups, "because the first shot is the only one that matters"... You guys have heard that before too, right?

You have to do what makes you happy, but be smart about it. Make sure the load is consistent enough that you can trust it. If it's not, you are just pizzin in the wind. Literally.. Make sense?

One can't get better at long range without actually practicing at long range... with a load that provides adequate feedback of course.

Would you agree that threading a shot 175 yards through the woods full of branches and blow downs is probably equally as tough a shot as what most would consider "long range", and require just as much precision and predictability?

I passed on a VERY nice buck 2 years ago at 68 yards in that type of woods because I was not confident I could thread that needle with my flintlock and iron sights. Just too much crap along the way and the holes were SMALL. Had it been rifle season and armed with any of my lever rifles or bolt actions that deer would be on my wall right now.

In my opinion "long range" isn't the only qualifier for an accurate hunting rifle/load.

Yes
Archery is even more difficult in brush. Self restraint is required in all types of hunting.