Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by sherm_61
That is completely false ive seen many 1,000 shot ladders that will prove it, go over to accurateshooter and look at ladders 1,000 BR shooters post it will prove it also. Target tells everything period, numbers don't.
I've shot more 1.5-2" triangle shape good groups at 700 with low teen to mid 20's with than I ever have single digit. I shot a 3 shot group once with my 30-28 all 3 shots were 3101fps and the group was 3" tall and 3/4 wide.
No, it’s not false. The “target” is a result of the physical systems, which can be described and modelled using math and numbers. The key to matching the theory with reality is to understand the physics and correctly model the system with numbers. It would be crazy to suggest that, if it were possible, bullets exiting the muzzle in exactly the same position and with exactly the same speed wouldn’t impact at exactly the same point (assuming identical atmospheric conditions).

I think you are misinterpreting the point being made. Speed is one variable that affects POI, but that doesn’t mean that it’s necessarily the dominant variable, or that it can’t be somewhat offset by other variables. Muzzle position at the time of bullet release is another variable, and when people talk about “finding a node,” this is what they are referring to. Correctly timing bullet release at a certain point in the muzzle’s path of motion can largely offset any existing speed variation from shot to shot, but there is no doubt that minimizing speed variation helps and results in more consistent POI.

You mentioned Cortina. He is a proponent of the load development method in which you first tweak variables to minimize speed variation, and then tweak seating depth to time bullet exit correctly at an anti-node in the muzzle’s oscillatory motion.
Ask Eric Cortina. Alex Wheeler, Jack Neary, Tony Boyer, John Whidden etc. if there gonna believe there target or computer, E.S- S.D #'s. Read up on positive compensation even Eric i believe in his Podcast with Alex Wheeler didn't believe in it untill recently.
What does Eric always say at the end of every podcast BELIEVE THE TARGET!!!