Years ago, when I was younger and reloading components were readily available, I obsessed a great deal more than now!

Fast forward to present, my last load development was with a case nearly double that of a .308 Win., I was increasing powder charges in 1 full grain increments. With each subsequent charge increase, the velocities increased slightly and the group sizes (only 3 shot groups) reduced slightly. I would shoot one group per day, with two to 3 groups per target. The groups were nearly superimposed over each other. This continued until I reached a point at which the pressures were a concern. I then backed down, again in a 1 grain increment, to what appeared a safe level.

Years ago, I would have likely went from that point each direction in .1 grain increments to try and attain the best possible group size. However, at this point the group was pretty darn good, trying to improve would have only resulted in a waste of components and very likely much frustration! All to what end…..perhaps reducing the group another 1/8”. It’s a darn hunt’n rifle!

The group (s) are very likely within the parameters of both the rifle and my shooting capabilities!

I stopped right there……I slept very peacefully that night! It appears that those years of therapy really did help! 🤪 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 02/29/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024