Originally Posted by roanmtn
Thanks John. Did Nosler discontinue the 250gr 9.3 ballistic tip? I remember you mentioned it years ago as tough and deep penetrating. Thanks.

Yep, they discontinued some of the larger-caliber Ballistic Tips when they introduced the AccuBond around 2007--which is basically a bonded Ballistic Tip. They tested each version in their penetration media, and with some bullets bonding didn't make any difference--but in others it did. The 9.3 250 was one of 'em--though I field-tested the AccuBond version extensively on a cull hunt in South Africa, and it worked very well. Among other things it went lengthwise through a springbok ram on a frontal shot, exiting the rump, and breaking both shoulders a 550 pound gemsbok bull--and also exiting. (The weight came from the ranch scales, not guessing.)

But have had great luck with 250 Accubond since, taking quite a few even bigger animals. Have only recovered one, a rear-angling shot on a 7-1/2 foot grizzly. The bullet entered the toward the rear of the ribs on the bear's right side, and stopped under the hide on the left side of the neck, retaining 81% of its weight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck