Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
MD, that 340gn Woodleigh .416 was a very soft bullet so I am not surprised at the result on a fallow doe.

I tested them when released in my .416 Weatherby and because it was a spire point, loaded them up to over 2900fps. At that velocity they literally tore a feral goat in 2 and sprayed the neighborhood with carrion. When I told Geoff McDonald about it, he told me they were intended for a maximum velocity range around 2500-2600fps.

It was a better bullet for longer range as I found out on other animals but up close, the velocity needed to be kept down a bit. Geoff tests his bullets on game before release but as you say, I am sure they get tweaked where improvements can be made.

It's a shame my articles arn't available on the net as I am sure people would love to read them.

Yeah, I'd sure like to read them!

Thanks for the info on that 340 WL. The wildcat that was used on that fallow doe, if I recall correctly, was the .416 WSM, and the velocity was in the 2500 range. I might still have a photo of the bullet and round, and will check later.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck