Thanks for those who have replied so far. A few comments on the comments to this point. DIY is not really in the cards, as I don't have the time or geographical knowledge to prep for something like that.

The $10K limit was a hope, not a requirement. If the going rate is higher than that for a good operation, so be it. I threw $10K out there because I have come across quite a few outfitters that were at the $10Kish number that essentially checked all the boxes I was looking for, except the reviews were universally NOT GOOD. So if those prices I was seeing was a function of getting what you paid for, I get it. If that's the case and the cost is more for a good outfitter that's actually going to do a good job, then I guess I'll need to pony up.

I have aspirations of going back to Africa in 2026, so I was trying to be cost effective on the elk hunt in 2025, since I'm doing moose in 2024. But these trips cost money when you deal with good outfitters. So I'd rather spend extra and be happy with the experience, than deflated that I wasted money on a [bleep] hunt because I tried to save a buck.