I have seen over the years, many times in print, the statement that generally copper fouling was more pronounced in front of the chamber...rather than toward the muzzle. It seems like the most logical assumption, that's where the grooves in the jacket are formed, that is where temperatures and pressures are the highest. I was wondering if inspection with a bore scope bears this out?
What prompted the question was, I'm on day 2 of rigorously cleaning a barrel that I suspected was never cleaned since it was sold in 1928. It may have been given an occasional swipe with old formula Hoppes to neutralize the primer salts...but that's about it. To the naked eye, the bore is shiny and smooth and I can't see any visible copper at the muzzle but patches are still coming out green. I used to help a machine gun collector clean after a big shoot...and I can't recall ever spending the better part of 2 days with no end in sight. If there is a buildup forward of the chamber I wonder if I may need to plug the chamber and fill the barrel with solvent.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.