Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Wipe-Out works well, but there are others that work even quicker.

Always interesting to hear what's "best" on these threads, by people who've used a handful of cleaners.
John,
I'm a Wipe-Out fan, but always wanting to learn. What are the ones that are quicker, and are any of them as "gentle" as wipe-out, or are there any extra precautions that need to be taken with the faster products?

Thanks in advance,
Rex

If I want to get the copper out of a typical barrel quickly I generally use Montana X-Treme Copper Killer. Like regular Montana X-Treme, it's oil-based so can be left in the bore indefinitely with any extra precautions, but works far quicker. In fact, when working on one of the 20-25 handloads for a specific cartridge articles I used to do for Handloader, I'd often swab the bore of the test rifle with Copper Killer just before putting together a batch of test-loads, which might take 45 minutes to an hour. By the time the loads were assembled the barrel was copper-free.

In general the regular Montana X-Treme works about as quickly as either the foaming or liquid Wipe-Out. Leaving any of them in overnight usually gets most "regular" copper-fouling out.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck