Originally Posted by high_country_
I am coming from a town of 600 people. I am not fond of crowds....but this one is for the kids. We're definitely doing at least one day on the gulf side beaches.

Wow, is this guy ever in for culture shock! Stand by for crowds and be prepared to spend LOTS of money. If you must, Sea World is way better than Disney. At Disney we had the fun of standing in line 45 minutes to take a five minute ride to see plastic stuff. And everyone buys a fast pass, so that is no help. You will blow your entire budget just getting into the gate at Disney. As long as you are south of there anyway around Kissimmee, Gatorland is great for everyone and cheaper than anything in Orlando. Woodsbys Calf on Orange Blossom Trail is kind of mom & pop and a local hang out. We liked eating at Harbor Side in Winter Haven and the pontoon boat ride from there is great through a bunch of chain of lakes especially for bird watching. Being birders, Meritt Island is great just north of the Space Center and a driving trip gets you into lots of rural Florida, but stop at the ranger station first to get the map and ask if the painted bunting is at their feeder out back. Dixie Crossroads in Titusville right across the bridge is good for lunch, but you will have a waiting line. Yes, plan a day at the Space Center. You will be amazed. Take the train to Winter Park and walk around to see how the high rollers live. Then take the boat tour to see them tearing down 3 million dollar houses in order to build a 5 million dollar one. Cherry Pockets is a unique eating experience south of Poinciana as is Old Harry's. The Saint Johns river boat trip is a good one to see lots of back woods FL.As long as you are around Tampa, I'd keep going to get to Fort DeSoto state park. Lots of nice beaches there and some Florida history.

Not sure where he is coming from, but he is going to kiss the ground when he gets back there. So many people head for Florida for the weather and attractions, but FL. is so slow to improve the infrastructure, that it is gridlock lots of places. Out of towners are like raw meat to the criminal element, so go out after dark at your own risk. Distance down there is measured in time, not distance. We drive 65-75 here in the Midwest and would be in jail for driving the kinds of speed that they go down there. We sold out last year to get out when the getting out was good. The only reason FL. is still on my CF location is to keep that swallow tailed kite on my avatar. No bird that I've ever seen can fly like those can. Be interesting to read his post trip experience.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory