Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Stickfight
I followed the link and the post starts out indicating the scope that was tested was made 20 years ago. Burris has not made any changes since then?

A big chunk of the personal back and forth that comes up in every Leupold thread has one side essentially saying that they used to be good but now they suck, and the other side searching up quotes from back then and saying "see you said they were good".

Good question. I think MD, JB addressed this in an earlier post. In that post, he said that the only one he had issues with was an older FFII, which was American made. I can honestly say that I've had to send 2 American made FFII's back as well. However, the one that I've had the longest (since 1998), has worked like a champ. The last I counted, that scope has been on 11 different rifles. Why? Because it is one I trust. It's held up for a long time. Also, to be fair: One of the ones I had to send back was one that I bought off of ebay for $100.00. Burris sent it back fixed, and now it resides on a buddies 22-250, without any issues. I asked that they repair that scope, instead of sending me a Philippine Burris, if that tells you anything.

If you check ebay, you'll also notice the American made FFII's sell for more than the newer ones. To me, the older ones looked better, as the new ones have some different logos on the scope that I don't care for. For all intents and purposes, they are the same internally though. The same turrets, that you can turn by hand (because they are knurled), or use a coin in the slot.

Although, one thing I have noticed is the different lens coating they use. Does it draw in more light, or help with chromatic aberration or help the crosshairs from fading out in direct sunlight? I don't know. I haven't noticed much difference between the 2 (American vs. Philippine) iterations, except maybe the crosshair thickness. To my eye, it looks like the newer Philippine FFII has a thicker crosshair. Even a buddy of mine commented on that, and I had to agree with him.

All in all, they are great scopes that I have put a lot of trust into. Formid's test only confirms what I've seen over the last 26 years. First using them on my 300wm, and then every other cartridge you can imagine, which would include 22LR-375 H&H.

Here's my newest rifle:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Doing a little testing with a brand new FFII, right out of the box. Even though it is not a general practice here, to use a centerfire scope on a rimfire, this one works well enough, and keeps the weight down on this 5.5 pound rifle.

The proof is generally on the target:

That one is no different than the others I have. Seems to be working as it should..

You should have stayed into Highpwoer rifle. You could have been the champion shooting groups like that one!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....