I came to the 358 Win late, had two but now just one. The reason I’ve one at all is because of Iowa’s eminently logical deer rifle regulations.

Previously, I had 350 Rem mag’s, a 35 Whelen, and a 35 Whelen Improved. “Improved” if you can count star dust and moon beams. Had a yearning a bit for the Norma but already had a 340 Wby.

I liked the 35’s including the 358. Hope to take an Iowa deer with it yet. Also may be doing a NE Sandhills hunt this fall and will probably take three rifles — a 284 Win, a 243 Win (backup and for calling coyotes if I fill my deer tag early) and the 358.

If I happen to be sitting in a shelter belt during that whitetail rut hunt, I may just choose the 358.

I believe it was in the NAHC series of books probably in the ‘80’s that there was one with different essays by different gun writers on different cartridges. I remember the 358 being written up by Clay Harvey whose shenanigans later came to light here I believe.

Anyway, the 358 Win always intrigued me a little and Clay Harvey mildly amused me with his pontifical style and his use of the word “ambient”.