Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
What makes ANY caliber become popular?

As an "in-between" caliber goes, what about the .41 Rem Mag?
More power than the .357 Mag, yet less recoil and easier to handle than the .44 Rem Mag.
I have a S&W M57 w/8 3/8" bbl. It's built on the N frame.
The only difference between it and a M29 is that a little less metal was removed during production. The M57 is just a touch heavier. With a bit milder cartridge, recoil is more manageable.
I find the .41 Rem Mag to be a perfect ๐Ÿ‘Œ compromise.
Initially, LEO's loved it, but as the wheel gun gave way to the semi auto in law enforcement, the .41 Rem Mag has pretty much died.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of perfectly good cartridges that are languishing just because of "popularity"!
Who knew?

Was not a major problem with the 41 mag was that as designed, itโ€™s power level was much closer to the power level of the 44 mag than the power level of the 357 mag? The execution of the design was not what the law enforcement community expected or wanted. They wanted a cartridge that exactly split the difference in power and caliber between the 357 and the 44. The 41 was too powerful for LEO work. IIRC, the lead bullet load was closer to what they wanted, but the jacketed bullet load was too much.

Another example of the clients needs being ignored by the designers and the company producing a different product.

It was literally designed to fail.

Never heard that, but it's almost a standard Remington SOP.
The .244 Rem, the 6.8mm Rem SPC, the 8mm Rem Mag and the .41 Rem Mag.
I'm not a LEO, so never used my .41 RM as anything more that to hunt with. Filled all my needs for that.