I think the last time I shot a game animal with a 30-06 was in 2018. I was on a cow elk hunt up by Raton Mew Mexico and was checking the scope on my .35 Whelen when the reticle decided to do a disappearing act. I wasn't all that sure the load I had for the 06 was sufficient as I'd never uses the 165 gr. Accubond on game although it was quite accurate in the rifle. A commercial FN Mauser with a custom barrel with unknown twist rate. It was supposed to be 1 in 12" but a Husqvarna 30-06 I have with factory 1 in 12" barrel shot 180 gr. bullets just fine. Well I guess I'd have t make do with what was still working and as luck would have it, I got an easy shot at just a bit over 100 yards. She ran maybe 30 yards and expired.

I got my first 30-06 back in 1955; a J.C. Higgins M50 and I still have it. Been in love with good Mauser actions ever since. I'll admit I haven't fires a shot since December 27, 2019 when I took my last elk with the Whelen. I'd been doing quite a bit of work with the 7x57 nd on January 2, 2020 was on the way to the range when I was in a bad wreck. I'd been using the 06 almost exclusively until 1973 when I bought a much light weight rifle in .308 Win. The 06 was getting too heavy and at that time I was a very heavy chain smoker. I quit in 1975 Most of the time I just hunted deer so more or less stayed with the .308. Mid 1980s I started trying for elk tags but not much luck.

I think that at 85 years old, some of the rifles I've used for hunting have a bit too much recoil. I'm not afraid of the "kick" but do worry about stuff like a detached retina. Can't hunt and shoot if you're blind.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE