Originally Posted by goodnews
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
With modern powders it is no trick to get 2250 fps with 450 grain bullets or 2100 with 500 grain bullets without excessive pressures or excessive powder compression. Personally, I think there is no need for the Lott.

If you could buy a .22 short-only rifle or a .22 in which you could shoot both long rifles as well as the 22 short you would choose to buy the former and claim there is no need for the latter? It seems that claiming the opposite is the more rational. Just because better powders now make the 458 adequate to good doesn't make the Lott which can be a "458 Win" at lower pressures or a Lott (more) at 200-250 fps faster and shoot the Win version to boot less desirable. Plus rifles are of the same action length obviously and Weight.

The reason the Lott came into being was disappointment in the Win's performance which has now been improved. That improvement doesn't make the Lott redundant; it also makes it better.

I'll still take a .22 that will shoot the long rifle too and substitute the short if conditions warrant.

Gdv

The Lott doesn't add 200-300fps. More like 100-150. If you doubt this, take a look at the Hornaday reloading manual. 2150fps is no big deal and 2200 and more is possible from the 458wm - all while using "book" loads and all thanks to today's powders.

This 100-150fps step up is significant though, imo. But it comes at a big price in recoil. Also, most Lotts are on magnum length actions, many 458wm are on standard length actions, again, not a big deal. Reliability of feeding with a 458wm in a Lott magazine is a question, the too long box can cause alignment and pick up issues. And the 458wm is ubiquitous, I have barrowed ammo in the field in Africa; the Lott may get there but it isn't there yet. You can make a light 458wm and live with it, but for the same recoil or even tolerable (for me), the Lott will have to weigh quite a bit more. More isn't always better. The 22 long rifle doesn't recoil meaningfully more than the 22 short, unlike the relationship between the Lott and the WM.

In my opinion, the Lott is unnessecary since the 458wm gives all of the penetration that is needed, and some, for elephants, so long as you use a flat nose 450gr solid like the former North Fork or the GS Custom. If you need to use round nose solids, then the Lott is going to make up for the shortcomings of round nose penetration.

I have both, btw. But I hunt with the 458wm (and flat nose North Fork 450gr solids.)

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 02/09/08.