I have killed large animals such as elk, Cape Buffalo, and Eland with a 7x57. It is the mildest caliber out there that I would hunt elephant with if I had no other choices. I have witnessed the kill of a bull elephant with a 7x57 and RN military ball ammo with a heart shot and it was impressive, or perhaps I should say unexpected as the bull ran about 75 yards and died, the blood loss was tremoundous to say the least. I know a PH who has killed many elephants with a .308 and 30-06 with simular results according to him and I believe him, but all that aside I would rather use my 450-400 or .416....

The 7x57 with a handload can perform circles around the 7-08..My 7x57s have mostly had 06 length magazine boxes, and throated to accept a 175 gr. bullet seated to .284, that is a very long throat..As a result of this set up, I have in effect a 7x57 IMP as I have increased powder space the same as improving the round. I get 2900 plus FPS with a 160 gr. Nosler and an easy 2700 FPS with a 175, and have reloaded that brass as many as 14 times with several trims..The wonderful little Brnos Mod. 21 and 22 also have this mag box chamber set up..This also requires the use of H414..

In factory persuasion the 7-08 is the hands down winner because the 7x57 is underloaded by the factories to prevent frivilous law suits as there are a lot of poor quality war production Mausers out there, such as the Mod. 95 and 96.

Bottom line is the 7x57 has more powder capcity than the 7-08 just like the 6mm Rem has more powder capacity than the .243. on so fourth.

Last edited by atkinson; 05/01/08.