Boyd,

I have made a lot of .358 brass out of .308 brass. However, it works better if you use virgin (unfired) brass. The beauty of the .358 is the fact that cheap pistol bullets are available and can be used for cheap reduced recoil practice loads.

IF you are the least bit recoil sensitive, I would not EVEN consider a Sav 99 in .358. I had one in .308 and it was the worst recoiling deer rifle I have ever owned. frown

Given similar rifles, the recoil difference between the 9.3x57 and the .358 Win is negligible with similar weight bullets. ON the 9.3, you Will notice the difference in recoil between the 232 gr. and the 286 gr. One of my .358's is a Browning BLR, and I am very fond of it. Excellent accuracy and it handles very well. Recoil is noticable, but not objectionalble to me. But then, I'm not particular recoil sensitive, unless the stock geometry is all wrong. A good Pachmayr Decelerator is advisable with about any medium bore rifle of decent power.

I purchased both of my 9.3x57 rifles after I came across a real deal on six boxes of factory ammo (Norma 286 gr.) I have yet to shoot it all up. blush

I can argue logic until I'm blue in the face, and still you are more likely to make your choice on emotion... smile After all, it's whatever turns YOUR crank. Hope this helps....

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"