One more yarn: you won't call a buck for sure if you don't try. Exact sounds are seldom importnat and with mnost animal calling, anything evgen close willwork. Far more important is wind, set up, being hidden. Call and see what happens, and improve your next calling stand based on thaty. One moose taught me more in three evenings of calling him than all the tapes and books in the world. The first day I tried the k'meer call I got nothing the first stand at daylight, calling on the fresh snow trail of three or four deer. My second stand, near noon, I'm pretty sure a large footed deer approached me and left without me seeing him, in old growth forest and patchy snow on a bench in a huge canyon. My third stand in mid to late afternoon I kept burping the call sound, breaking the sound off, squeeking it, etc. and knew my technique was lousy. I hadn't mastered that fine instrument to orchestra performance level yet. After three minutes I thought I heard one step of a hoof in gravel (steep old growth set up with some rock slides).

After about 20 minutes I was so disgusted with my sound goofs that I bagged the calling, quit hunting and got out my lunch. Drank some water, burped, stepped aside to take a leak, and in general acted like an idiot. I was holding my binoculars in hand as I put things back in my daypack at about the 33 or 35 minute mark after first starting the call, when I noticed a deer's hind legs disappearing behind some brush as he crossed the steep open slot below me, where I'd expected to see a deer. He was just to the open side of where I'd heard that step in the gravel. I raised the glasses and focused through the brush on a mature, heavy bodied, swollen necked buck whose head and antlers were hidden. After a second's pause he stepped ahead across an opening about two feet wide and I saw heavy dark antlers with deep forks, only a 3x3 unless I missed something but taller than most of the stubby antlered bucks in that area. I grabbed rifle, ran to my right, glassed, called, wished.... Hiked several miles out, in the dark the last part. The next afternoon I went in the tame woods behind the house, called in a fork horn and killed him at about 33 yards.