Originally Posted by Con
Bob,
Why did you feel the need to customise it? Looked pretty good at the start ... I'd have refurbished only and placed my 6x Nickle on top. Personally the mounts and rings look way too high, particularly as it has a stock designed for open sights. Love the recoil pad ... what is it?
Cheers...
Con

Why did I feel the need to customize it? Well heck, just because I wanted to! grin If the rifle had been in more pristine condition I probably would have not done much customizing. I tried to choose one that wouldn't have a lot of collector value. Still, I did want the cock on opening conversion and the side swing safety.

Yeah, the mounts and rings may be a little high. It's as low as we could go in order for the bolt handle to clear a scope. With the drop in the stock, set up for iron sights like most bolt action rifles were back in the 20s and 30s, I realize the scope may be a little high. But, this is meant to be a fun gun so I'm not too worried about.

I think the pad is a Pachmayr but I can't remember. The rifle is still at my gunsmith's as I haven't picked it up yet so I can't go look at it right now and see what it is.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke