Hello Woodsmaster & All,

There is a lot of information on the 9.3mm cartridges and Husky mod's 46 and 146 on the GunBoards forums. Scroll down to "Swedish Civilian & Military" section. The topic of 9.3x57 loading data is one that has been discussed for several years on the forum and lots of information is available there. Many favor using 4895 powder and others of similar burn rate. There is also much discussion of proper bullets for the 9.3x57 Mauser. Used rifles are available from Allans Armory, Simpson and also a good range of rifles is available in Canada in the 9.3mm, both in the early Mauser, the mod 98, its Husky variants and others.

I agree, there is no need to hotrod this cartridge. It gets its amazing killing ability by use of the proper large diameter bullet at adequate velocity. If you want to go fast and kick hard then shoot the 9.3x62 or something even bigger. Many hunters will attest to the sledge hammer knockdown power of a heavy, slow moving, bullet on moose and elk. The 9.3x57 was intended to take heavy game such as moose (and light African game) at short to medium range.

The internet has a fair amount of information on the 9.3x57mm cartridge and some information about the Husqvarna AND Mauser rifles chambered for this round. Use Google and search for the common variations such as 9.3x57, 9.3x57mm, 9.3 Mauser, 9.3mm cartridges, etc. to find what pops up. Norma also makes two loads for the 9.3x57 with their own bullets.

I bought a Husky 146 from SARCO Inc. when they had them in stock a few years ago. It is well used but in good condition. I am so fond of the caliber that I had a gunsmith make a custom barreled action based on a Rem 700 ADL and a 24" Pac-Nor barrel in 9.3x57. At present it has the factory stock, but I will put a synthetic camo pattern stock on it and glass bed it. It is wearing a Leupold mk3 2.5x7 scope. I just couldn't drill and tap the mod 146 and ruin that beautiful crest.

Cheers,

Metricman